This is one of my favourite side dishes and one of the easiest to make, as it requires absolutely no cooking and takes just 15 minutes to put together. It’s really tasty and I love the little bit of ‘heat’ that you get from the raw cauliflower. It’s a great accompaniment to a burger/bun/cutter (delete as appropriate depending on where you live) and also good as a side to grilled fish or chicken.
For those with allergies, food intolerances or eating a plant only diet, this is great as it is raw, vegan, gluten free and paleo.
Cauliflower ‘Couscous’ – serves four as an ample side dish, preparation time; 15 minutes, cooking time; absolutely none.
- 1 small head of cauliflower, finely chopped by hand or in a food processor – do not over process it as it becomes mush and does nothing for the texture of the dish
- 1 small red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 British cucumber or 1 small local cucumber, quartered lengthways and sliced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- handful of black pitted olives or kalamata olives, sliced (you can use as many or as few as you like – I prefer a lot)
- 1 small pack of parsley, finely chopped (you can replace with coriander if parsley isn’t your thing. I use whatever is in the fridge)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 heaped tsp za’atar
- salt & pepper to taste
Prepare the dressing by mixing the olive oil, lemon juice, za’atar, salt and pepper in a small dish.
In a salad bowl or mixing bowl, combine all the other ingredients and mix together.
Add the dressing to the salad bowl and stir until evenly distributed (this isn’t a science, you just need to mix it well).
Voila! Done! As easy as……